Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Fourth World

I'm sorry it's been awhile since I've posted anything, but you can probably expect a whole slew of posts in the near future as I've been splitting my time amongst a few books (damn you Harry Potter). But the first of these I've actually managed to finish volume one of Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus.

With the exception of the Demon, I'm a late comer to Kirby's work for DC. But I'm now at the point thanks to Marvel's essenial reprints of his work on the Fantastic Four, Thor, and Captain America, that I will pretty much buy anything he drew, with the possible exception of Devil Dinosaur (I just can't get past Moonboy).

The Fourth World books are just plain great comics, even with all of their flaws. DC had every panel that featured Superman or Jimmy Olsen redrawn, the story never had the chance to conclude properly, and I have to repress a shudder whenever Flippa Dippa has a line of dialogue. But none of this gets in the way of the sheer energy and creativity that shines on every single page. Plus Kirby has to get credit for making a septuagenarian S&M fiend (Granny Goodness) into one of DC's better villains. The only problem now is waiting for the other 3 volumes.

No comments: