Thursday, July 26, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Yes I jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon too, I didn't go to the midnight release, but I was there at 7am when Wal-Mart opened (even though it compromised my principles a bit to do so). I even stopped reading a book I was half way through (Michael Flynn's Eifelheim) in order to get through this before I heard too many spoilers.

And man was I glad I went out of my way to read this thing, it is a great book. The series comes to an incredibly satisfying conclusion, with every character, hero and villain, given a chance to shine (in many cases right before they die). The book is a bloodbath, which I was not expecting at all, but only once in the book did it ever feel excessive to me. After 7 books Rowling has earned her apocalyptic battle between the forces of good and evil, and she does not disappoint her readers in its telling.

2 comments:

zandperl said...

The problem I have with the bloodbathishness is that the characters don't grieve enough. They seem really numb about the deaths, when there's plenty of time over the course of a year for them to come to grips with them. That really doesn't feel realistic to me, and doesn't do the deaths justice, and doesn't teach the children readers about death. Otherwise, I liked it a lot too.

Bibliomane said...

I agree with you completely on that point, and it is something that can be traced back to the very matter of fact demise of Cedric Diggory back in the Goblet of Fire. Throughout the series there are only a hand full of characters whose deaths are properly addressed, and only 2 of those are among the victims in the Deathly Hallows.

I think this can be a valid approach as far as the narrative goes, but in my mind is what raises the age level of these books more than any other factor.