Monday, January 07, 2008

Queen and Country

Queen and Country is probably the best comic that I had not been actively collecting. Now Oni Press has begun putting out a "definitive edition" of Greg Rucka's masterpiece, so I couldn't resist any longer. The story is roughly what'd you'd get if Aaron Sorkin worked on an espionage show for the BBC. The story is split between action heavy field missions and the bureaucracy and politics occurring in the operations room. The end result is possibly the most well conceived suspense story to date.

I originally read these comics in their serialized form by borrowing them from my brother. They were great then and their even better now in the collected edition. The only defect is the inconsistency in the art. The art chores for each story arc are handled by a different artist, in the first volume these are Steve Rolston, Brian Hurtt and Leandro Fernandez. Each of these artists are wonderful, but their styles due clash a bit in a collected edition like this. Fernandez's chiaroscuro-like inking stands out in particular (although it does mesh fairly well with Tim Sale's cover art). But their individual efforts are all excellent, and the book as a whole is very nearly flawless.

2 comments:

Tony said...

I don't think I had realized that Queen and Country had "ended." The series I am following are closing out faster than I am finding new ones to pick up on...

Bibliomane said...

I believe it's supposed to be coming back at some point.