Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Losers

I went into the Losers expecting something amazing because of the creators involved. Andy Diggle is currently writing what my be the best Hellblazer run in that title's history, while Jock has become the #1 artist to watch in my mind with his work on such titles as Green Arrow: Year One and Faker. But I think the Losers just didn't live up to the hype for me.

The story focuses on a group of rogue special forces operators who are attempting to make public a rogue CIA agent who left them for dead. It's a fairly standard espionage set up that allows for some great action set pieces, and both creators milk the formula for everything it is worth. This is probably one of the great action books of the last few years.

However, the book falls down when it comes to the characters involved. I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of them and found them to be fairly stereotypical. The Losers are comprised of 1 hacker, 1 femme fatale, 1 doting father, 1 silent killer, and 1 company man, not one of which ever seemed to have more depth than the label applied to them. Still they do serve the purpose of the story nicely, I just expected more from Diggle after the character work he has put into John Constantine.

No comments: